Monday, August 25, 2008

Got Sketch? 102

I've decided I need to get away from scraplifting.  When I started scrapbooking I was COMPLETELY LOST and totally overwhelmed by it all so I took a lot of classes.  I pretty much always disliked the paper/colours that were being used in the classes I took so I usually brought and used my own.  I'd also use my own embellishments so in the end my "creations" didn't look much like the originals.

For some reason I've had a hard time getting away from this. I've gone from scraplifting the teacher's layout in a class to scraplifting from magazines or websites.  There is nothing wrong with this - I guess they say imitation is the greatest type of flattery (or something like that). A few things bother me about it though - I spend SO MUCH TIME going through magazines to try and find a layout to scraplift when I could be using that time to actually create. Also, I want to be able to say something is truly mine. I'm hoping to start submitting for design teams in the upcoming year or so so I really need to find my own style.

In my latest blog surfing obsession, I came across Got Sketch 102. It's an online course that has a few sketches a week and you do layouts based on the sketches.  I figure this is a good way to transition from scraplifting to my own creativity.  I'm excited about it because there is a "community" feel to it with its own website and forum - that sort of thing.  Hopefully this doesn't mean I'll just end up scraplifting from the other women on the site - ha ha. It all sounds so dirty - like I'm some sort of paper criminal.

I wonder what they would do to you in prison for scraplifting?  Force you to get covered in paint and glue and not let you wash yourself - I think that would be my worst nightmare. Or maybe there is like AA for scraplifters.  My name is Laurie and I'm a scraplifter. 

Ok, enough of that.

I'll be posting my creations on here.  The "rules" say we can do that! I think I'm going to use pictures OTHER than the wedding so that I can use different shapes and sizes on my layouts.  We'll see.  But what will I choose - so many possibilities. 

Well, I'm going to try to wind down now - Denis and I fell asleep after supper (our busy weekend caught up with us) and now our schedule is totally thrown off! 

Whitney is supposed to be staying with us either tomorrow or Wednesday but I haven't heard from him so I'm not sure if he actually will or not. We also need to get our butts in gear and get ready for the cottage - so much to do!

But it'll all get done, it always does.

Night lovelies

1 comment:

Stay Funny said...

I really liked the part of "Hi my name is Laurie..." like in AA meethings! Happt that you will try the sketches, that will push again your creativity!